Emergency situations are rare but do happen. Here is what to do in the event of an emergency:
- If the dog is critically ill or injured and in need of medical care, take it straight to its registered vet, or the nearest vet and inform the Owner. You can then inform DogBuddy at email@example.com or on 033 3344 1993 as soon as possible. We also have a dedicated 24/7 Vet line number, which you can find on the page of the booking in progress. Please ensure that you have the Booking reference number ready when you call. You can find your Booking ID in any emails you receive when a booking is confirmed. Please note that the emergency vet line is only for bookings made through DogBuddy while a dog is under your care.
- Assess the severity of the situation. Monitor the dog, examine the condition and look at the dog’s food intake and any changes in behaviour.
- If you believe there is something wrong but you are unsure, contact the Owner to discuss. You can then both agree on a plan of action. Sometimes dogs have previous conditions that the owner will know how to handle. Make sure to ask the owner before each boarding about any existing conditions and how to treat them.
- If the Dog Owner (or the emergency contact) is unavailable, contact the dog’s Vet and discuss the situation. Always keep the DogBuddy Team up to speed. We can happily advise you on how to move forward.
- ALWAYS ask for the dog’s Vet details BEFORE the boarding commences so you are prepared for an emergency. If you don’t have the details and are in need of a Vet, go to your local vet or take the dog to the closest emergency vet or animal hospital (find your closest MediVet or Vets Now clinic). You’ll also find your dedicated 24/7 vet line number during a booking in your DogBuddy Profile.
- Always try to consult the Owner before any decisions are made at the Vet.
- If the Owner’s Vet is available, ask if they can bill the client directly, otherwise pay for the care and DogBuddy will reimburse you* (all dog Sitters who make a reservation through DogBuddy are entitled to our complimentary insurance).
- After you have left the Vet, keep monitoring the dog and follow all instructions given to you.
- If there is an emergency situation involving the dog you are boarding and another dog, make sure to stay with the other Owner, assist and save all bills.
It is of utmost importance to stay transparent and honest to both the Owner and to DogBuddy’s support team at all times. The key to taking care of any dog is making sure they get the right treatment quickly and also to avoid the issue worsening.
You can submit a paid bill to DogBuddy and we will reimburse you. Please submit Signed Vet Reports, Invoices and receipts to firstname.lastname@example.org